In no particular order:
- I have required two cold showers a day every day this week, because it is hot here; so hot I don’t even want to use a tired metaphor involving hell to describe it. Oh yeah, we don’t have air-conditioning, and we live in a 100-year-old house without insulation. So I’m also not sleeping at night…
- Other ways to stay cool: standing in front of the open freezer, putting my face directly in front of the fan we have propped in the window, driving around with the air-conditioning on, eating popsicles, drinking a metric fuck-ton of ice water each day. Sorry for the cussing, I’m not sleeping.
- Life of Pi is an amazing movie and I wept pretty much throughout the entire thing because of hormones and the fragility of mortality and giant cats.
- Running into garden spider webs has become a daily occurrence, yet it still remains as unpleasant as ever.
- I am scared about the future of our country.
- I shouldn’t be allowed to hit “publish” when I’m feeling depressed.
- I have made it a point to do something different everyday to prevent early onset job-search dementia. Going to the beach for an hour, talking to new people, looking for an album for our wedding photos (two years after said wedding date), going to the library to check out a book someone recommended; sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t, but at least my butt hasn’t permanently adhered to my office chair.
- My adult-onset, allergy-induced asthma has gotten a lot worse this week. I blame it on the heat and the garden spiders, because they’re convenient scapegoats.
- Baking bread is not a good way to cool off, but it sure yields delicious results.
- I mowed the lawn for the first time in my entire life.
- Syria: what a mess. Don’t do it, America!
- Cover letters are torture devices from the pit of hell designed to make employers’ work easier, and the unemployed want to rip their fingernails out individually each time they have to use the words “energetic” and “accomplished” and “go-getter” to describe themselves.
- Dexter and Breaking Bad are ending soon, FOREVER, and it’s interfering with my will to live.
- Books are saving my sanity, and my cat is driving me crazy with her absenteeism. Go figure.
Happy Labor Dabor!
- – -